Thursday, February 17, 2011

Why Harry Potter is Freaking Awesome

     Harry Potter.  The name invokes some kind of a reaction, whether positive or negative, disdainful or praising, excited or decidedly complacent.  In some way, the boy with the lightning bolt scar has impacted us- whether it is because he sparked our interest in reading, or because we determinedly avoid everything related to this literary phenomenon.  Fan or not, I could care less.  I'm going to take this blog entry to remind you of a mere handful of reasons why Harry Potter has rocked my world since 1997.

1.  Hogwarts is sick.  Seriously, the Great Hall?  Platters upon platters of food that sounds amazing and is constantly refilling itself- count me in.  The moving staircases, the portraits that talk, the ghosts, the secret passageways, the sweet*ss common rooms and the fact that you need a password to get into your dorm (rather than an ID card or a room key, both of which I have struggled to keep track since I got them), the whole place just sounds incredible.
2.  Ron and Hermione are the coolest.  Ron is such a bro- he has an excellent sense of humor, is loyal to a fault, and has the craziest family of all time.  Hermione on the other hand is brainy but still retains a cool element- she always keeps her head and has an emotional capacity that triples that of the boys.  Together, the three of them form this group of friends that is definitely enviable- they are always in it together and epitomize the idea of true friendship.
3.  The villains are convincing.  Voldemort is a crazy-*ss motherfather, but I love reading about his antics.  His dialogue in interesting and original, and his rivalry with Harry is not overly drawn-out like so many other villain-protagonist relationships.
4.  J.K Rowling keeps it fresh.  There were no books in the series I considered "weak" compared to the others.  Each was equally "spell-binding" (ha, ha) and was comprised of an original plot and the addition of original, unique characters.  
5.  Harry Potter is the man.  He doesn't conform, he has been through a lot yet manages to keep his head up, he is goal-oriented, talented, athletic, and smart (okay, maybe I do have a slight crush on a book character).  

You get the picture.  Harry Potter is an amazing series that has impacted our society and grown into something of a literary phenomenon, and it's easy to see why.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not really a reader so I have not read the Harry Potter series but I have seen all the movies. I have loved each one and everyone who has read the books says the movies can not even compete with how great the books are. Either way Harry has definately impacted my life, with the bertie bots jelly beans and the harry potter board game that pretty much was exactly the same game as clue, bt so much better because you had to guess which spell was used rather than a weopon. Its just a great series

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR POST!!!! (I am such a Harry Potter freak!) One of my favorite things about the series in that J.K. Rowling somehow manages to connect the littlest things from book to book and she normally keeps them pretty consistent. Often the those insignificant connections are then crucial. I think that's why I was so disappointed with the final ending because I felt she left so many things with loose ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As embarrassing at it is to admit, I am absolutely love the Harry Potter series and, as most of Americans, was heartbroken when I didn't receive an owl saying that I could attend the most amazing school in the incredible wizard universe that you described above. I could probably spend hours talking about the series but I just wanted to agree with your comment on using passwords instead of ID cards or keys. I can never find my ID card when I get up to my door and my card rarely scans to let me in the door because it is scratched. Life would be so much easier if we just had to give a password to a talking portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Harry Potter! J.K Rowling is an amazing author. She manages to to keep a complex plot going throughout all 7 books. Even some of the smallest details from early on in the series turn out to be important. The book series is so well written. J.K > Stephenie Meyer

    ReplyDelete